Friday, January 31, 2014

Homemade oven dried apples

Oven-Dried Apple Chips 
                             

So this week we had a little road trip planned and I asked my husband what he wanted for snacks, immediately he replied, "anything healthy."  So I packed carrots, peppers, cheese, nuts, and I noticed 3 apples rolling around in our bottom fridge drawer so I pulled those out as well.  Although I do love a crisp, juicy apple, I was craving something a little different.  So I thought I would try my hand in making some dried apple chips. I know the preferred method in making dried apples is with a dehydrator but I don't have one so I turned to the oven.  
 
When you slice your apples, try and slice them as thin as possible, this way they dry out quicker and they are a lot more "chip like" if they are thin.  A few of my slices were a bit thicker and turned out a little more soft than I prefer them but they were just as tasty.  
 



Lay them all out on a cookie sheet.  I sprayed my cookie sheet lightly with some non-stick spray,  I'm really not sure if this was necessary but afterword the cookie sheet came clean really easily so I'm glad I did.  



Then I mixed some cinnamon and sugar together to sprinkle on top.  This is totally optional, the apples really don't need anything added to them. I think next time I'll do half with no sugar and half with. Next, set your oven to 200 degrees and let them bake.  I checked on them after 2 hours and turned them all over. Then I checked on them again after another 2 hours.  After that I couldn't help but check them every 30 minutes till they were baked to my liking.  

 Pull them out and enjoy!!!  They are such a yummy treat, and next time I'll cut up a lot more apples, these things disappear way too fast! 

No comments:

Post a Comment