Friday, January 3, 2014

Easy Crochet Infinity Scarf



My husband is always outside, and when I say always I really do mean ALWAYS.  He works with wildlife and on his free time he's hunting, fishing, or horseback riding. Wintertime in Idaho is nothing to be taken lightly. So my hubby never leaves our home without his wool vest, wool hat, and often his button up wool collared shirt.  Wool is the way to go when it comes to staying warm so when I saw a yarn sale at Michaels yesterday I couldn't help but snatch some up.

 I know crocheting might sound a bit scary for those of you who haven't tried it before.  Many people give up on crocheting before they even get started! Why?? It's because the hardest part is the beginning. So please, PLEASE, do yourself the favor and keep working at it, I promise it will only get easier.

I've made the PERFECT BEGINNER PROJECT.  I know infinity scarfs have been done over and over again but I just love how warm and comfy these suckers are. If any of my friends ask me to teach them how to crochet, this is the project I run to.  The big yarn makes it easy to see and the huge hook makes it simple as well.

So this time around I've decided to mix two colors together, but this can be done the same way with only one color.  I am headed to Harry Potter Land pretty soon so I've been having a mini movie marathon with my mom.  GO GO GRYFFINDOR! It's the only explanation as to why I subconsciously picked these colors.

Anyway, when crocheting with two colors the first thing you want to do it roll your skeins into balls, there is nothing worse than having a knot in your yarn when your only halfway done with a project. After that just grab the two ends of the yarn and get started! (Pattern Below)  I've shown here two different brands of wool yarn. Wool-Ease, and Cozy Wool.  Both work fine and the only difference is that Wool-Ease has a bit more yardage but again, you can do this project with just one skein you do not need two, adding another color and crocheting them together just adds a little thickness.

The picture above shows just how simple it is to add another color to your work, just keep crocheting like it's one strand of yarn.  




   Look how cute my little Dakota is! She loves wearing her infinity scarfs and I love making them for her.  I just made this one with the left over yarn I had from my scarf, perfect! I hate having little scraps of yarn everywhere and this is the perfect thing to do with it.  So below is the pattern I used and a list of the terms you should know in order to complete this project.  There are so many YouTube videos on crocheting all you need to do is search for those key words below and you'll be making these in no time! Please let me know if you have any questions, thank you! 

What You will Need and what you will need to know how to do:

-one or two skeins of wool yarn ( or any thick yarn you like)
- a size Q crochet hook
-Scissors

Know how to...

-Chain
-Half-Double Crochet
-Single Crochet


Infinity Scarf Pattern

- Chain about 65-70 times and connect to the beginning of your first chain
- Half-double crochet around the circle 3-4 times until it's as thick as you prefer 
- Tie a knot and weave in your end! DONE

* For a little toddler size I just chained 35, connected to the first chain and then half-double crocheted once around followed by a single crochet once around. 



3 comments:

  1. So easy! I wish I would have tried this as my first project! I'll definitely have to give this a go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute!! I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it, go go harry.. haha! adorable

    ReplyDelete